View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'm just attempting to compensate,for the sake of lurkers,your misinformation,misunderstandings, and plain outright wrong statements.I don't mean to jeopardize your book sales,and self-created reputation as an authority on automotive aerodynamics.
Self-created authority? I am just a humble amateur working at home - never said anything else.

Quote:
I don't believe that you have as good a grip on physics as you might presume.I'm pretty certain that you don't understand lift.I'm absolutely certain that you do not understand the implications of flow separation as associated with local pressure,along with their location on the body,as pertains to lift.You keep repeating the same fallacy every time you mention lift.
But my statements about lift are supported by the actual measurements that can be made on real cars. Your statements are not.

Quote:
*Perhaps Barnard isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.There is counterfactual evidence to his claims to be considered. Did you?
Richard Barnard is a world-renowned aerodynamicist. He started his career as an undergraduate aeronautical engineering apprentice at Handley Page Ltd, and later became Principal Lecturer and Postgraduate Research Tutor at the University of Hertfordshire, and is currently a Visiting Research Fellow. He is also a founder member of the UK Wind Engineering Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS). He has been a consultant for numerous companies, including Jaguar and Rolls-Royce Bentley. Richard is the author of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and has written many technical papers.

Um, I think I would back Dick's understanding of aerodynamics over yours....

Quote:
*The rear spoiler on the 911 does not function for the reasons you submit.
Oh yes? Refer to Page 195 of my book, that shows via tuft testing the Porsche rear spoiler doing exactly what I state.

Quote:
You can compare the 911's aft-body downslope contour with the 2020 Taycan,and then tell us why the Taycan can drive safely at 160-mph without a rear spoiler.
I haven't seen a tech paper on the Taycan yet, but I'd be pretty sure we'll find it has a very good underfloor that develops low pressure.

Quote:
*All your comments about the performance of your Insight modifications are subjective. Accelerometer data would put some numbers with your testimony.3rd-party testing is always appreciated.
It doesn't need a vehicle dynamics expert to understand that if you have measurable downforce, and the car's mass has barely increased, then tyre grip is improved.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-15-2020)