Thread: E10 Woes
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
You are probably right, but I don't think it's enough, and I hate the stress on the food supply.

Ok, here comes the thunderstorm...

I still think that electric cars and nuclear power are the best we have. I know, people are going to shutter at the mere mention of nuclear power. I will stress that we need better disposal and possible neutralization methods for spent nuclear fuel. They we working on neutralization of radiation when I was in the army (not a secret). That was 15 years ago. (Boy, I am starting to feel the passage of time).

I still have high hopes for nuclear fusion as a much better alternative to our current fission.
I agree, but on ethanol I think it has been operated in a BONEHEAD fashion.

There are quite literally tons of potatoes right near the ethanol plant that go to waste every year. But because the ideot corn lobby owns the corn ethanol plant they won't digest potatoes into ethanol even though

1. Potatoes are much easier to make into alchol than corn
2. Potatoes make much more ethanol per pound than corn

Too bad we can't enforce a law that only waste/excess food and byproducts are used to make ethanol.

Its redicolous to use one viable food for fuel when unviable food stores could be put to a usefull purpose.

There is also the fact ethanol can be made
1. Without additional heat in the summer using different enzymes (aka no more blasted fossill fuels to make ethanol)
2. Ethanol can be made the old fashioned way by malting, so purchased and chemical additives would be more or less unnecessary.

It would take longer this way but be much cheaper to produce. Too bad common sense takes a back seat to vested interests.