View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #38 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
humble,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Self-created authority? I am just a humble amateur working at home - never said anything else.

But my statements about lift are supported by the actual measurements that can be made on real cars. Your statements are not.

Richard Barnard is a world-renowned aerodynamicist. He started his career as an undergraduate aeronautical engineering apprentice at Handley Page Ltd, and later became Principal Lecturer and Postgraduate Research Tutor at the University of Hertfordshire, and is currently a Visiting Research Fellow. He is also a founder member of the UK Wind Engineering Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS). He has been a consultant for numerous companies, including Jaguar and Rolls-Royce Bentley. Richard is the author of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and has written many technical papers.

Um, I think I would back Dick's understanding of aerodynamics over yours....

Oh yes? Refer to Page 195 of my book, that shows via tuft testing the Porsche rear spoiler doing exactly what I state.

I haven't seen a tech paper on the Taycan yet, but I'd be pretty sure we'll find it has a very good underfloor that develops low pressure.

It doesn't need a vehicle dynamics expert to understand that if you have measurable downforce, and the car's mass has barely increased, then tyre grip is improved.
*The 'tone' of your voice takes on the color of anything but humble.Have you listened to yourself?
*My statements about lift are grounded in fluid mechanics. And specifically with respect to road vehicles.
*Let me know when Handley Page,Jaguar,Rolls-Royce,or Bentley debut a Cd 0.12 automobile under Bernard's tutelage and he'll have my attention.
*If you're looking under the car for stability,you're looking on the wrong side of the car. It's all about the roof profile.
*Why are you introducing downforce? Are you trying to finish off the Great Barrier Reef all by yourself?