View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
OK, we have different "objects".

Anyone care to share the stated purpose of the mentioned Ford patent as to its purpose?

And I'll share my observations on "ad hominem attacks", there is usually at least a shred of truth involved, and the one throwing the shade seldom gains any points with the audience on the sidelines, but I maybe wrong.
I have the patent at home. It's best to read right from it rather than trust my oxidizing white and gray matter. It will be mid-week,next week before I'm back to town.
A loose explanation: the bi-wing would allow the inviscid flow to strike the wings, thereby allowing some re-attachment on the boot, plus capture a locked-vortex on top of the boot, over which inviscid flow could pass , just as it does on the GM 1/2-tonneau, plus sequester the vortex away from the back of the car, isolating it from the low static pressure. The re-attachment would kill rear lift. Flow over the vortex would allow decelerated flow , which helps increase base pressure (Bernoulli), and reduce pressure drag (Hucho and everybody else). It's not as good as a proper fastback , but it's a lighter car, with great rearward vision. And sold in Germany as the Merkur, it helps keep owners alive on the Autobahn at high speed.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-15-2020 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: add data
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (05-16-2020)