View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #83 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Because while perfect is great, I already have a job. And a family, a house, and all sorts of other things that take a lot of my time. And with a couple fast and dirty mods and no testing, my best tank in this car was 56 mpg over 575.9 miles in a car rated 29 mpg combined. Maybe that tank could have hit 57 mpg if only I'd devoted more time to aero testing, but alas! I have other things to do with my time. I dropped my kids off at camp every day, got to work on time, picked the kids up, got to the grocery store, and did all sorts of other things.

I knew deep down that my car wasn't the ideal aerodynamic shape, but I tolerated it because it carried the family and groceries and other things, and with attentive driving and a couple mods that apparently are only worthy of scorn, I still got nearly double the EPA rating for the car.

Maybe if I'd put more time into testing I'd have gotten 57 mpg on that tank, I don't know.
Worthy of scorn? Yet again, people putting words in my mouth.

And you are quoting test results - but I thought testing was worthless? So how is mileage testing worthwhile, but literally a few hours of testing alternatives is not?

You make your own life priorities - and that's fine.

But I see people here wasting countless hours pursuing courses of action that some simple testing could have shown them wouldn't work. (Or would work, of course.)