View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #86 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
The numbers I cited were not test results at all, just logs. Calling them test results is quite the mischaracterization, Mr. Wordsinmymouth. I would expect an author to have a finer touch with the language.
I am sorry, but a mpg result is a 'test'. It is an assessment of an outcome, in this case a modification.

Quote:
I based my mods on hearsay from this forum and was very happy with the results. I've left the grille block in and continually maintain my tire pressure, without ever having tested either, but I've gotten impressive results from them. In my position, it doesn't matter what percentage gain I may get in mileage from a mod, I just want a gain.
That's great, but read some of the other threads about people who tried things that didn't work, and so needlessly wasted lots of time and effort.

Quote:
What mileage do you get in your ride, or is it all just aero-theory? Don't get me wrong, the aero threads are very interesting to me, I do read them and I'm glad you've brought up the deficiencies in older testing. It's a great point and has been a great read.
I can get anything from 84 US mpg to 47 US mpg, depending on how I drive it. (And that's with about 80 per cent more power than a stock Insight. And I don't have IMA!)

Quote:
But you do bring to my mind mind David Hobbs laughing at how the aerodynamicists had to be beside themselves when F1 cars turned faster lap times when racing with damage than they had in qualifying under perfect conditions. Because theory is great, but application matters more. I'm just in the application end of things.
I am a bit puzzled by what you say. Nearly all that I write here is about practical applications - how you can do some tests in order to find out what works best on your car. It's certain other people on this group who endlessly talk about theory!

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 05-21-2020 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: typo