View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 AM   #280 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I'd be perfectly happy to let the invisible hand of the market guide me away from it.

If I wanted to build a house, I'd be better off admitting it and starting from scratch. I'm not good enough and don't have the time to rebuild someone else's disaster.
Sometimes it is good to see that disaster and let reality sink in.

When we moved to Oregon my wife was dead set on spending no more on a house than what we sold our house in Alabama for. So I looked online and found some houses to look at in that price range.

The 1st was a house with 2 scabbed on additions done by the homeowner, on 3 different levels, all different building materials, and a really weird layout. You had to walk through a bathroom to get to one of the bedrooms.

The 2nd had blue tarp on the roof and two bedrooms with the ceiling falling in and black mold from floor to ceiling. (And for some reason a 10x10 room made out of concrete blocks in the middle of the garage with nothing but a toilet in it.)

The 3rd was a house from the 1910’s with holes in the walls, a gas furnace in the floor of the living room without any ductwork going to any of the other room. It also had a 60 Amp fuse box.

That was enough and she agreed to up our price range 50%.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Ecky (05-25-2020)