Thread: More XJ Mods
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
alexbrown64
EcoModding Lurker

Nice to see a fellow XJer in here. Yours is looking good, and i can't believe the economy your getting for what it is.
Mine is a 95 4.0 with the AW4. 33's, 4.56 and 5" lift. I am currently running at 12.5 mpg, which is 18.8lt/100km where i am from (Australia). I have taken it over a weighbridge, and she has half a ton of extras on her. Winch, roof rack, bull bar, rear tire carrier, etc..

I did have the triple fan setup from Dirtbound offroad. Had two set up to come on early, and last one to come on at higher temps. Also have a Derale tranny cooler. My whole cooling system is new. Also have hood vents, ceramic headers etc.
I could not stop the Jeep from running hot on the beach. So i went to the ZJ viscous clutch fan. Amazing. Jeep never gets over half way on the temp gauge. Usually runs at 88C which is 190F.
With my fuel use so high, and running an OBD1 XJ, i got a great MPGuino color touch from a fellow forum member. Its set up in my Jeep and very accurate. So now i can start making mods, and seeing exactly what effect they have.
My XJ has the power/comfort setting on the transmission. I found this to have a big effect around town. In power, the torque converter doesn't lock up until 70kph which is above the speed limit. In comfort, it locks up around 45kph which is below the speed limit around town. With the lockup, i am getting much better economy, as the engine isnt revving so much.
I have ordered a Hayden XJ clutch fan, as i think it will improve economy over the ZJ fan, but still provide me the cooling i need. I found my triple fans were constantly on anyway, which puts more load on the alternator.
Right now, i find my driving style has improved using the gauge for economy. Faster acceleration to get up to higher gears, slower top speed etc...have all helped me increase economy by about 2mpg.
Hope we can share some ideas..
Cheers,

The Following User Says Thank You to alexbrown64 For This Useful Post:
Taylor95 (05-23-2020)