View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
bobo333
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Welcome... back!

I love the whole idea of offroady Prii. It'll never go as far afield as a stock Subaru, but you can easily get it to go places Toyota certainly never imagined.

One thing that crossed my mind while looking at the very handsomely done black car on your Instagram, the rear wheels are only along for the ride.

So while installing the springs and flares for extra clearance for taller tires is good, there's little to no point in installing wider ones. Not in the rear.

I don't think you're going to go mudding with a Prius. That way lies madness and tow straps. If you're going to spend most of your off road time on firmer ground than lots of mud, then the extra flotation of wide tires at the rear, the lighter end of the car, may not be needed. You could possibly get perfectly good results with taller, narrower wheels and tires that don't widen the car, don't contribute as much aero drag, don't weigh as much.

I have fantasized about installing a Torsen diff in a Prius, an overlander rig would be a perfect place for one.
While an excellent idea, its more important to me that all 5 wheels and tyres are the same, so that i can rotate them for long life.

The wheels and tyres I have fitted now are just leftovers from my previous Subaru build, when theyre worn out i will go back to some lightweight 15" alloys with slightly smaller and lighter tyres to get back some mileage, acceleration and braking.

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326