View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #74 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Additional limitations noted:

1) The monitors I have chosen do not adjust well to changing light conditions even with manual settings. What is too bright at night is inevitably too dim in the daytime. The most practical middle ground seems somewhere in between which ends up being mediocre, bringing me to the next issue:

2) The cameras pick up a fair portion of the skyline during daylight driving, and while quick to adjust exposure setting, they tend to overcompensate for a bright sky - most notably on partly cloudy days with clouds providing full white reflectivity. So the actual road surface in any even slightly shadowed area just gets washed out in darkness.

3) The field of view of the side cameras is still excessive at 86 degrees, diminishing the size of distant objects more than I would prefer and overlapping a portion of what I can see with my own peripheral vision.

That said, there are better monitors and much better cameras out there. The difficult part is finding packaging that works without looking ridiculously out of place on either the exterior of the car or inside. It is still an improvement over the blindspot mirrors, which I have kept, but definitely looking for better and will be attempting to implement a 1080p MIPI/CSI-2 camera and monitor solution here soon using a hacked rear over-the-mirror unit to split screen two cameras.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snax For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-27-2020), JulianEdgar (05-26-2020), MeteorGray (05-26-2020), wdb (05-25-2020)