View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
No, it is a curve. And its placement is generally indexted to the point of greatest roof camber. It has been used here to design Kamms and boat tails as well as trailer hitch storage boxes and more. As I said, kick some butt by building one on MetroMPG or Bottsaper's model for the Gen 1 Insight and throttle stop test it. Would be a great test.
Why do people keep asking me to do tests? The reason I have described the testing methodology is so that everyone can do them. People write as if I have a monopoly on testing!

I actually think the boat tail looks ugly, and it would be illegal where I live.

And taking one approach that has proved to work doesn't mean it is the best approach.

Quote:
Not sure I know how to answer that. Best policy in anything is never to be doctrinaire. [?]
And the template isn't doctrinaire?

Quote:
Not to me, but aerohead will have to explain what else he thinks it accomplishes.
Well if it as normal, it will be an answer full of jargon, irrelevant citations, weird theories and red herrings! Unfortunately.

Quote:

Oh, he and we have compared it to others... the various template threads and countless other debates here would attest to that. This EM board debates alright.
There are examples where people tried different 'template style' shapes and thoroughly tested each? Can you link me to some?

Quote:
It is simple and it works, which is Pragmatism's test of truth. Simplistic is pejorative. What matters it that it is a form that DIY modders can overlay onto a lot of bodies and get results. But you make a reasonable point: there are more possibilities.
Lots of things are simple and they work. But that doesn't make them the best approach. I have no issues with general guidance being that the taper angle should be around 12 degrees. In fact, my testing resulted in that figure on a wagon roof extension I made and tested (Page 134 of my book). It is also an angle used in setting EBLAs (effective backlight angles) - page 130.

But to suggest to people that here is the shape you should use, I think is simplistic and wrong. That's especially the case when building something to follow the prescribed curve is going to take quite a lot of effort.

Quote:
C'mon man, this is not a group think environment. Plenty argument here before you showed up, and about the template, too.
I have seen so many statements made here that are simply wrong and yet are not challenged. (And not just on car aero - one I saw here the other day on acceptable engine oil temperatures just had my jaw dropping.) Like, stuff I'd expect anyone interested in car modification to immediately call out. But it's just accepted.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
bobo333 (05-30-2020)