View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
It's really quite clear to me what aerohead is arguing: re-examine the previous page. There, the VW flow body longtail, the closest to the template, has the lowest drag of these four shapes (0.14). So if we argue that these are four ways to the LOWEST drag, we'd been incorrect since their Cd figures were not the same (VW flow body longtail, the template roughly, was lowest). Lowest is lowest, just like fastest is fastest.

That's not my argument. I don't have the second edition. I have the 4th.
The VW flow body longtail is only closest to the template?! Surely then we should all be using the VW flowbody long tail as the template, and not something that is only close? Then, once we are using an even more correct template, we'd all get even better results with our car modifications, no?

I just believe that, for people modifying their cars to achieve lower drag, all these templates (pick whichever one you want) are almost completely irrelevant.

That would certainly not be the case if we were developing solar race cars, or even human powered vehicles, but for people modifying their road cars, I just can't see it. But I can see people wasting a lot of time following a special curve that they're been assured will give them best results.