View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Transporting a Bike min Aero drag

Not sure if this has been addressed. For discussion we are talking a normal adult bike, outside a normal sedan, at highway speeds, for a multi thousand mile road trip, and hoping to minimize any added drag. For now, best to ignore road dirt concerns, its not a high cost/value bike, I will be riding it daily, so ease of mount/dismount would be helpful, I'd prefer no bike disassembly, and I'm willing to push the envelope.

Seems like the typical solution is bike standing up crossways behind the trunk on a typical receiver hitch mount. That IMO leaves a lot of bike disrupting air flow exposed.

One idea is, lay/lean it down or even flat. Legally, as long as its with 48" of car's tailights, its no problem. I could make the bike run same direction of car again standing up, which might make for parking hassles, and at least a tail/stop light is added. I could build a transport fairing, but for time/hassle, I'm not inclined to expend any effort beyond a 1/3? fairing, and not sure if it that gives enough bang for buck/effort. I could also maybe make that solution a lay flat alternative. I don't care what it looks like, form follows function and all.

Anybody solved this type of problem, how, and get good results?