View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
j-c-c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Once again define 'a normal adult bike, outside a normal sedan' I guess the "normal" here was a bridge too far. What is normal to you? Since you asked, a foldup bike is not, and small wheel bikes I gave up when i stopped doing bike tricks when I was 12, and they are very useful for that, regardless I still find advantages in larger wheel bikes for my application, others obviously have different needs.

Is the 'normal sedan' a notchback? Could be, does that matter much from a "aero" standpoint on this context, it only matters to me from the standpoint of on how much aero interaction the bike will generate, no matter what it is, I'm looking for ideas to reduce that drag, within my stated parameters Does the 'normal adult bike' have a removable front wheel? Yes it does, but my original parameter excludes that "normal" solution

Your not breaking new ground except for posting in Aerodynamics instead of Ecomodding Central or General Efficiency. Central has the most traffic. You want to attract comment from someone like Bicycle Bob or Toecutter. I guess then the thinking is they are better sources for Aero drag reduction concepts concerning non normal items attached to the outside of a "normal sedan" temporarily?

The picture I wasn't willing to post has a ~$120 bike. The cable lock locks it to the back bumper. The front wheel comes off, but I don't bother. I haven't tested the mileage penalty, but it's within the wake of a 'dirty' car, a [normal] VW Beetle. I guess then that was stating the obvious, or why we don't attach it to the front bumper? A forum that is so focused to minimize "wake" would seem to be a fertile ground to focus in on locating that wake's "sweet spot" to best transport a bike, but I guess not.
The "theft bait" comment I thought was self explanatory, being the more expensive eye candy an item is ( since taking it out and riding is its main function), the greater attention it gets and the payoff is greater for stealing it.