View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 05:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I think that I finally finished replacing my head gasket the beginning of March. I took apart my dash and removed my heater core the second week, but haven't gotten back to it since. That was right when people realized that coronavirus was serious. I cleared out the shed to make an office and started setting up teletherapy. At least once I tracked down all of my instruction and got interrupted before I could get anywhere.

I never start working on my car without copying all of the steps from the factory service manual, researching on-line, and watching as many videos as I can. I always write out step-by-step directions with diagrams. I cannot find any of that now, so I needed to start over.

From what I have seen of the instructions from It Still Runs, they are vastly oversimplified and generic, although they may be adequate for someone much better with cars than I am.

The FSM only has 9 steps and 4 diagrams, but refers to other sections 5 times. Right now my instructions are 31 pages and 26 diagrams, but I did not set it up in columns like the FSM.

I like trees and stuff. I just shrank the relevant diagrams and set up most pages with two columns.

It is now thirteen pages.

I kind of don't want to know how long that took.

Remove the dashboard (see section 20) ended up being eight pages.

I need to write three sets of notes and upload some documents, but hopefully I iwll have enough time on Friday to put my Civic together.