View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
moving car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
It's a good book - I have had it for more than 25 years. The aerodynamic pressure measuring technique described in the book is to use water manometers. So try measuring one-tenth of an inch of water with a fluid manometer in a moving car. That's about the wake pressure on the Insight at 80 km/h.

The more you write about testing, the more it's obvious that you don't have a good knowledge of it.

Why don't you look at what I have posted here, learn how to do some on-road testing - and then go and do it? That will be the quickest and easiest way for you to find out for yourself that a lot of what you post here is simply wrong.
It's why I'd only attempt it in a wind tunnel,where everything else could be accounted for as well.
As to why don't I do it:
* I'd only do it in a lab.
* I'd have the scanivalve covering the entire length of the vehicle.
* I'd have as high a resolution ( number of taps as used by others ), perhaps 45, along with as many manometers.
* And photograph all the columns simultaneously, as other researchers have done. There could be no error as to any possible environmental variability which could adulterate the data.
* Darko is gone.
* I'd have to travel to North Carolina.
* The minimum fee would be $ 960.00 US Dollars. Plus travel expenses.
* I've already bankrupted myself doing EcoModder.
* I'd like to continue completing my house, which has languished, un-finished since 1983.
* I'd like to complete the truck-trailer project and capture the data before the thing dies of old-age ( over 400,000 miles on it ).
* Statistically, I've got around twelve years to live, and on Social Security, well below the poverty line.
PS
Another thought on the testing. We're only considering the centerline of the vehicle. We'd be 'blind' towards the edges. Since statistically, there's always a 7-mph wind blowing around the car, we also haven't covered yaw/ crosswind phenomena, which would be very hard to account for. Any temperature,barometric pressure, air density change occurring during a 'run' would have to be closely monitored and data reduced to reflect.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-12-2020 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add PS