View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Don't do illegal drugs or legal drugs illegally.
Don't resist arrest. That is not just my interpretation of common sense, the NAACP says so.

That same page says: "Don’t: Run away, or bad-mouth an officer."
"Don’t: Empty your pockets voluntarily, or reach towards your waistband as the officer approaches."
"Do not [...] reach for any items in your clothing or car without
specific instructions from the police."

Everybody has opinions about what happened when Jeronimo Yanez pulled over Philando Castile. The other officer on the scene, Joseph Kauser, said that Yanez did not do what he would have and he never saw Castile reach for a gun, but he trusted his partner.

All that I can say for sure is that I wish they had chest cams.

Mom regularly complains about Philip Brailsford shooting Daniel Shaver in the hotel. Shaver had shown off a pellet gun, people called the cops, Brailsford told Shaver to get down, but he would be shot if he put his hands down.

Then he told Shaver to crawl towards him.

I do not watch people die if I can help it. I certainly do not watch people murder each other, although I have probably watched nine minutes of footage of Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck by now just because we watch the news everyday, sometimes noon, in the evening, and again at night, even though it doesn't change much, and they often show the same clips.

I did not watch the video, but I read that as Shaver crawled towards Brailsford Shaver reached for his waistband. He would have performed a similar movement to pull out a gun, but he didn't have one, so he was likely adjusting his shorts.

Floyd made some mistakes, but none of them warranted being murdered. What explanation is there for Chauvin continuing to kneel on Floyd's neck for three minutes after he stopped moving, after another cop couldn't find a pulse, except to make sure that he was dead.

We do not know exactly what Castille did immediately before being shot, but it seems unlikely that he planned on pulling his gun from his pocket while being belted into the driver's seat, chambering a round, selecting fire, and shooting the officer that had not been an immediate threat.

It sounds like Yanez and Brailsford should have shouted "Stop!" and then given step-by-step directions. It sounds like if an officer starts to escalate things you should freeze and wait for further instructions, but I do not think that we can expect people to think of that.

I have long said that if someone tries to choke me [if I cannot stop them], I will play dead. It may not work, dying didn't get Chauvin off of Floyd, and I cannot expect someone to think of playing dead, either.

Can you be arrested for DUI after the fact?

Google says yes.

What is proper police procedure for a suspect running away with your weapon?

Google does not provide an immediate answer for that one.

Don't riot, loot, or burn anything, regardless of how angry you feel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (06-16-2020)