View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #106 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

As an addendum to my post above, I will say that I use my throttle stop not to test aerodynamic ideas at the moment, but to use on long highway trips as a CRUISE CONTROL.

You see, my Mazda3 did not come with an OEM cruise control. So, I have been using my foot instead. But on hours-long trips, I find that my competitive foot wants to match the speed of passing cars and so, in a sneaky move imperceptible to me until I look at the speedometer, it tends to advance the throttle without permission to those higher speeds.

May I say the throttle stop has proven to be an effective watchdog and enforcer to my wayward foot. It also may save me from a speeding ticket some day as well.

As an aside, I'll also say that surely the throttle stop is more fuel-conservative than a factory cruise control, which wants to add fuel every time a hill is encountered in order to maintain speed. My throttle stop won't do this unless, of course, I temporarily remove it and let my foot loose again. I usually choose to lose a few MPHs when traversing upward on undulating roads. However, for any occasions that I actually might want to add speed, I have installed a string that is held down by a third nut that I have installed on the bolt of the throttle stop. This string reaches to the console, and it allows me to very quickly remove the throttle stop from the accelerator if-and-when I want more throttle. I have found that the throttle stop can be easily placed back on the accelerator while underway without undue effort on my part. The long six-inch bolt helps with this.