View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #109 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
references

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Rather than my having to wade through lots of anecdote-style evidence about The Template and box cavities, can you just direct me to some current peer reviewed tech papers (or published textbook material) on them? And what on earth does “capturing vortices better” mean?

(And I have had a look on here for the source material that supports The Template and box cavities but cannot find it. I don't remember either a 'perfect shape style template' or 'box cavities' being mentioned in any of my car aero textbooks - but I am very happy to follow up if someone can nominate some references.)
1) Hucho specifically addresses the box cavity. He himself conducted studies on this technology, and claimed that, with the exception of body elongation/ boat-tailing, that the box cavity was the only other device which actually demonstrated a drag reduction in his ten years running Volkswagen's climatic wind tunnel. ( he shows a graphic of a VW Transporter with the cavity, along with a drag curve as a function of cavity length.
2) The 'template' is a derivative of around ten talking points on the ground rules of fluid mechanics, listed throughout the 2nd-Edition. I've described the evolution in the threads dedicated to it. Hucho told you to study these on the first page of his 2nd-Edition book.
3) I provided 4-'templates' in all. They will provide fully-attached flow, their full length, the only way to really low drag according to Hucho.
Hucho doesn't use 'perfect', just optimum.