View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 04:53 PM   #113 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
fit for purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You may no be alone.

I'm not sure (obviously) how to put it in words, but it is the mind-set that had Elon Musk produce the Cybertruck. Buckminster Fuller did as well as anyone:

All I was saying was that that Template is not always fit for purpose.
Think of it as a go-no-go for sectional density ( area rule / bump placement). If the body cross-section varies any greater reduction than that of the 'template' you are introducing high-pressure gradients/regimes in the flow direction, which are intolerable to the turbulent boundary layer.
And if your cross-section doesn't contract as much as the 'template,' you are introducing added surface area and surface friction drag.
The 'template' is at the bottom of the drag 'bucket' for streamline bodies of revolution, which are the lowest drag bodies known for 3-D flow. Any shorter and higher drag due to pressure drag. Any longer and greater drag due to aggravated surface friction losses. In this context, the 'template' is the 'optimum' for low drag, as stated by Hucho. His word not mine.
I may have the lowest IQ at EcoModder.com. And I may be as dumb as a box of rocks. But I suffer an intolerably high coefficient of perspicacity. If you get me an Gumby 79 anywhere near a bucket of dots, we're gonna connect 'em. It's just in our nature.