View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #114 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
That seems right to my differently-trained eye. Coming from a different field, I think of the Template as theory, which means it was derived from empirical research in a specific domain. Those findings inform a model, which everyone should know from the start is both useful and limited. It is fit for some purposes and not others. But aknowledging that a theory is limited--as all research is--is not the same as blanket dismissal.

The throttle stop testing method is smart. However, during any given testing effort wind, tire temp, ambient temp, road temp, reliability of the throttle stop material, drivetrain temp, accuracy of your GPS, and alternator charging will all still be variables. Several of those factors are not factors in a 50 mph to 0 mph coast down test. These are different methods, useful for different things and conditions.
Hucho would refer to its constituents parts as ground rules for the fluid mechanics of road vehicle aerodynamics. I'd read his book a dozen times before I felt confident enough to come forward with the 'template.'
I've practiced the Richard Feymann admonition to find fault in my experience of vehicle aerodynamics. The 'template' is an artifact of what remains after struggling with the now obvious simplicity of aerodynamics.
The tyranny of singularity appears to be the real issue surrounding the 'template.' Everyone seems to be convinced that aerodynamics is 'hard.' And streamlining couldn't possibly be as simple as following a simple, off-the-shelf technology.