View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #902 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Nonrunning 1998±2 EX Civic with $148,000 miles for "$800"

For some reason the owner did not specify the year, but it is a sixth-generation (1996 - 2000) Civic coupe. It only shows the front and side from these angles, but I think she looks marvelous!

Still marvelous!

Nando, don't be a schnook! It's not how you feel! It's how you look!

However, did you notice the red spray paint in the engine bay? This is from my heart, which is deep inside my body--not marvelous!

The previous teenage owner also attacked the instrument cluster!

The front corners do not show damage, which is nice, but who knows what damage the hood, grill, and middle of the front bumper have, or the back bumper, taillights, and trunk. It is a manual, but I have never been fond of the EX, although my sister had one. Sure, they are great cars, but why trade fuel economy for horsepower?!

The EPA rated my HX at 30/39 and the EX at 22/29. OfferUp says 28/35, but that is for the DX/LX. Now for the fun:
Quote:
Doesn’t run. Needs a tow. Needs either starter or starter switch.
Clutch is good but won’t shift into gears.
Just had an oil change. Brand new oil/ fuel and air filters. Brand new spark plugs and all new belts. New front breaks. Brand new distributor and cap. Bluetooth radio. New floor mats, steering cover and locking club. I bought it for 12, put allot of work into it. Shifter and starter went out so I’m looking to sell it for $800
https://offerup.com/item/detail/895141429/

Haynes has repair videos?! Since when?!

That claims that there are a couple of things in the way and then two bolts holding in the starter. O'Reilly has a remanufactured one for $182. The starter switch looks pretty easy, too:

O'Reilly has the starter switch for $30.

The shifter went out? Shouty says the clutch master cylinder must be bad, but one of many problems with his videos is he doesn't show how he diagnosed that, what else could cause the same problem, and how to solve those, but if it is the clutch master cylinder, it looks pretty easy:

O'Reilly has a master cylinder for $33. Why do I keep mentioning O'Reilly? Am I some huge WatchJRGo fan?!

AutoZone didn't have the first one or two!

However, RockAuto has a new starter for $110, starter motor for $21, and clutch master cylinder for $11, with $5 - 10 shipping for each.

I offered the owner $500, Hopefully I would have her running again quickly for a total of $630, but I have zero confidence that would happen, and why would I trust a used car salesman?

The better question is why would I make an offer on someone else's nonrunning Civic when I need to fix up my own?!

All that I wanted to do is find a good picture of the heater sub-assembly depicting where the cable attaches, but I ran across this.

I don't want to remove my dash and heater core again! I wouldn't mind parting out another car, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EK EX 1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	28489   Click image for larger version

Name:	EK EX 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	28490   Click image for larger version

Name:	EK EX 3.jpg
Views:	15