View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #550 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Looks like the "covid 35000".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
What kind of race is that?!
Actually, the Covid 2800 has been quite remarkable.

The 2013 Cannonball record (28:50) by a well funded and prepared team got broken last fall with a time of 27:25 by another well funded and prepared team. Whose record then got broken in April by some freaks that did everything right and added "during a pandemic" to their plan, making it in 26:38. Then Fred Ashmore showed them how to really do it.

Ecomodders should claim this guy: $3,000 spent total on the rental car, equipment and fuel. One fuel stop. And his 25:55 included a 25 minute wait at an agricultural inspection station at the California border (and one tour of a highway interchange's cloverleaf to lose a cop).

He rented a Ford Mustang, took the seats out and slapped in some gas tanks that fed into the main gas tank through an access panel in the floor. He went solo with Waze and Google Maps (and the obvious radar, laser and CB).

Me? I'm jealous. I've only done two endurance runs, and they were both actual travel. One of those times I'm quite proud of, but it was a stressful week and I was simply trying to get home. I know where I did things that cost a bunch of time and wonder what I could have really done. Fred Ashmore did it right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashmore.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	28524  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-24-2020), Xist (06-25-2020)