View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #319 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
It's been.....4 months?

I also haven't really been tracking fuel economy much lately, although I did get around 60 mpg going 80 mph home from college with no hypermiling over 700 miles, 300 of which were VA/WVA mountains.

I fixed the dent in the bumper myself a while back. Rear brakes issue turned out to be a broken spring, replaced the springs and all is well.

Replaced the 12V starter as well that was showing it's age along with relocating the transmission ground wire due to one of the original bolts being too corroded to use and unable to remove the bolt.

12V battery just died this week so I'm looking at building a lithium replacement that'll last for more than 2 years.

The Insight manual indicates that the amp draw of the 12V should be <350 amps. 350 amps @ 13v is over 4kw of power, although I'm pretty sure the 12V starter draws less than 1kw of power..

HEADWAY cells have a max discharge of 200A which should be sufficient, but they're out of stock. Typical >32 *F to charge them. $10 a cell would be $40 minimum for 8AH, call it 6AH with age and usability. I'd probably use 8 cells.

Found another source of lithium that accepts a charge as low as -4 *F but it's $35 for 3.2V 20AH with max continuous discharge of 40A and max short term discharge of 200A, so would need 8 cells for that but it would be a decently beefy battery...$280 for 12.8V 40AH lithium. New batteries though.

Even with a cheap $50 BMS I'm still not sure about charging lithium using a meanwell. Maybe I should stick with lead acid but I'd really like to use lithium this time around.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)