View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Rear end swap revisited

Hello everyone.

Long time no see. I hope everyone is staying healthy during all this Corona craziness. Stay safe.

I have asked about a rear end swap before and it has always been on my mind. It was one of the reasons I started the MPG/RPM thread a few months ago. For my Ranger I seem to get the best mileage on the highway at 1850-1900 rpm. The engine gets so smooth and nearly disappears audibly. The problem is that it's only around 48-50 mph and I wind up causing quite a bit of road rage for other drivers. I know that some would say "Ah, forget them" but I drive the same 2 lane country blacktops to work most everyday and I really need to share the road responsibly with my fellow drivers. That and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if someone got hurt because an impatient driver felt he had to pass me. Even though it would be my fault directly, it might be indirectly. When the road is empty I'm right there at 48 mph until someone catches me. Passing zones are few and far between on most of these roads, so I speed up and if they still want to pass then at least I'm at the posted speed.

I now have access to a 3.55 rear end that puts me in that optimal rpm range at 55 mph. Even at 60 mph I'd be in the rpm range I am currently at and getting between 30-32 mpg depending on the weather and route. My goals are to reach 35 mpg and still have my Ranger look like a truck.

With all that long winded stuff said, here is my question......

IIRC the 2003 Ranger gets it's speedometer signal from a Variable Speed Sensor. I think they are mounted on the rear end. If that is the case, then do I need to do anything with the computer to make sure the speedometer is still correct or can I just swap it in and the VSS takes care of the adjustments? Do I have to let the computer know I swapped gearing or will it automatically know because the signal will be different? Also, is it the same signal that controls the tach? If so, then the same question applies. If not, then how do I make sure the tach is also corrected?

Thanks and stay healthy.