View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 03:18 AM   #24 (permalink)
bobo333
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Bobo, are you using Julian's idea of using a "throttle stop" to determine the comparative aerodynamic effects?

It seems doing so would show a lot within a few miles of testing.
As California98Civic mentioned the throttle stop technique doesn't work on hybrids, nor cars with electronic throttles. The position of the pedal or throttle plate has little to do with the actual power being produced thanks to all of the computers adjusting everything to what it thinks you want.

The method I used in the video would be improved by using cruise control and driving both ways on the same stretch of road but I didn't have the time or fuel to turn around at that point and my cruise control is currently broken.

Im now back at home and locked in quarantine (again) so I decided to pull the car apart today for some measuring and playing with CAD (cardboard aided design). First step, pull the factory bumper and the last few bits of extraneous plastic.

After some messing around I've figured that I can actually have the best of both worlds with some trickery, and make a steel or aluminium reinforced off road bumper that still fits the factory plastic bumper on top.

Yes I do need more lights... The Livids are absolutely amazing on the highway, but on tight offroad tracks and twisty hills roads they are much too focussed

Next step is to replace the broken plastic undertray, and continue a flat floor all the way to the back of the rear carrier.

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326