View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
front shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
Many of you may have seen my new Off-Road Prius build that's in the works (if not there's a link in my signature).

One major component I would like to upgrade is the front bumper. Obviously the factory bumper is fairly good for aero and can be improved with a simple grille block and (more) flat floorpan, however it does not give the best approach angle for off road abuse nor is it strong enough for highway animal strikes.

This is where my study begins, how much compromise do I need to have to get my perfect bumper? Where are big advantages available in one area that detracts least from the other area?

The end product will most likely end up somewhere in the vast range between this:

And this:

And here's the car in its current guise:

Grill block and flat floor can both be combined with a metal bash plate which will likely extend all the way from the factory numberplate position all the way to the tail end of the diffuser, but other than that I'm open to front shape suggestions.
' The main contributions to the drag force originate from the rear part of the body.' Hucho.
bobo333 (07-09-2020)