View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 03:18 AM   #194 (permalink)
Galane
Master EcoModder

I've wanted to take a Cavalier coupe and a Cavalier convertible and swap Cimarron front ends, tail lights, interior, drivetrain etc to them. Why? Because GM never made a coupe or convertible Cimarron like they should have.

Prius swapped Cavarronus convertible!

But I'd have to use a 1986 or earlier Cavalier because all J platform models except the Cimarron went to the new design for 1987.

What was especially nuts about the J platform (and several other 80's and 90's GM shared plaftorms) was that many mechanical and electrical components doing exactly the same job were brand specific. Didn't matter that both the Cavalier Z-24 hatchback and Cimarron both used the same 2.8L V6 with three speed automatic, most of the rest of the stuff under the hood was very different.

When my Cimarron's radiator sprung a leak, I took the radiator to a shop to have a tank replaced, which few shops do anymore on aluminum rads with plastic tanks. They said it'd be a few days to get the new tank. It was ready the next day! How that happened was ten years before, someone had brought in a Cavalier Z-24 and by mistake the shop ordered a tank for a Cimarron with V6 and it had sat on a shelf all those years. No reason whatsoever for those two vehicles to use different radiator tanks yet they did.

Such stupid, pointless, waste of time, money, and effort to NOT use as many common parts as possible where the vast majority of owners will never know nor care about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galane For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-09-2020)