View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #165 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Tomorrow is the Oregon County Fair. I became disenchanted with the Faire the year there were trannys fabulous weirdos on stilts squirting turkey basters full of some unknown liquid through the windows of the LTD buses taking the day trippers home.

But this year it's virtual: https://www.oregoncountryfair.org/

Quote:
With the OCF’s traditional festivities officially canceled on May 7, the chances that the notable annual event would happen were not good. And yet, as thousands of fair participants have done since 1969, everyone rolled up their sleeves to salvage the often strange and wonderful world that is the Oregon Country Fair.

Running Friday, July 10, through Sunday, July 12, the OCF will offer virtual platforms to access a medley of music, marches, artisans, performance artists and creative bedlam. Only armed with belief in the OCF spirit, fair staff and volunteers have dedicated hundreds of hours in the past weeks to realize a multi-layered experience for guests at the free streaming festival.
Thanks to the OCF’s digital “m8trix” crew, attendees will be able to stroll through digitally realized fairgrounds. The virtual world is complete with decorated booths framed by alder trees, dirt paths that lead to different fair zones and the Long Tom River wandering lazily through.

The m8trix crew realized this almost miraculous conversion by applying a LiDAR scan of the sprawling grounds. (Light detection and ranging technology uses intense pulses of laser light to measure the composition and structure of an area to render a digital map.) Fairgoers can visit their favorite booths, zones, performers or just meander through the grounds just like they would in real life. Even voice levels will depend on proximity to digital personifications.
“We’re so lucky and honored to get to work with the people that put their heart and soul into the fair every year,” Frank said. “Now they’re putting their heart and soul in the ability to bring people together virtually.”

Though it certainly won’t be the same show as the previous 50, 2020′s innovative scene will bring new perspective for fairgoers. Frank said that her first OCF was in the womb and this electronic experience adds some novelty to the pending excitement.

“I was showing a friend of mine the platform yesterday. She grew up at the fair, just like me, and we got lost (at the fair) for the first time in our lives,” Frank said. “It was so magical to get to experience that. I am just blown away.”
www.registerguard.com/.../oregon-country-fair-shares-its-magic-virtually

There's nothing more fun that getting lost at the Faire, but I will miss breakfast at the Tofu Palace.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (07-09-2020)