View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
ACEL
Ecomodder

AcuraMatata - '99 Acura EL Base
90 day: 36.82 mpg (US)

Le Vehicle - '12 Dodge Gran Caravan SE
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)
Vortex generators trials and choice (post 1 of 5)

Vortex generators trials and final installation

Two vortex generators disposition were trialed from scientific literature results. Five locations were trialed until the appropriate one was determined by rear window tuft test observation. Tufts movements were filmed and a frame by frame examination allowed to get the story about geometry and location.

As for many car models from the end of the 1990’s, the rear window showed a center bubble flow recirculation thus making vortex generators an appropriate modification to reduce the drag induced.

1rst trial : geometry location proposed by

Gopal P. and Senthilkumar T., 2013, Influence of Wake Characteristics of a Representative Car Model by Delaying Boundary Layer Separation, Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 363_374 (2013)

1rst Position : Rear of VGs lined at 100 mm (4 inches) from the car rear window top edge.

The vortex generators are of the “airplane” type and are rectangular 4 inch long by ¾ inch high. Rear window was tufted so tufts movements could be observed and photographed from inside the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VG Gopal 2013_1essai.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	28681   Click image for larger version

Name:	VG1stTryPlanAlb.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	28682   Click image for larger version

Name:	VGsTuftTest_1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	28683  

See many mods in detail with results on my modification thread for my 1999 Acura EL, similar to US Civic EX

Facts, please, give me the facts! Theoretical knowledge is verified by empirical knowledge! Check Einstein's General Relativity Theory E=MC^2! Every few years some new astrophysics observation and data prove some of Einstein's theory predictions more than a century old.