View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
ACEL
Ecomodder

AcuraMatata - '99 Acura EL Base
90 day: 36.82 mpg (US)

Le Vehicle - '12 Dodge Gran Caravan SE
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)
Vortex generators trials and choice (post 5 of 5)

5th Position, 2nd geometry, VGs type mix
As experienced and reported by Julian Edgar in his book on a 2007 Honda Legend, vortex generators are positioned on the rear window glass. In my case, along the top edge. I am not tall enough to have my rear sight hindered. The “airplane” type VGs are installed on each sides to replace the missing shark type ones to make a complete row from left to right.

Ah! Finally! The window center, bottom and side edges tufts all stabilize. No picture needed! I proceed to a “clean” definitive install. Some “Dollar Store” two sides transparent acrylic gel tape was used to secure the “airplane” type VGs to the glass. The commercial shark fin type VGs have their own two side tape. The “airplane” type VGs will be replaced when the shark fin ones ordered come in in August. The acrylic gel tape glue is easily removed when soaked with WD-40, like may other glues.

Aerodynamics result

The recirculation flow bubble on the car rear window causes drag. So, using the “throttle stop” method (Julian Edgar, 2019, Youtube) against the last modification results data to date, the maximum speed allowed at a given throttle opening is increased by 2 %. The fuel economy measured at 2,5 %.

In the end, adding up small economies make up some big economy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VGs4thLastBestAlb.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	28691   Click image for larger version

Name:	VGs3QuartsAlb.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	28692   Click image for larger version

Name:	VGsFinalsFace.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	28693  

See many mods in detail with results on my modification thread for my 1999 Acura EL, similar to US Civic EX

Facts, please, give me the facts! Theoretical knowledge is verified by empirical knowledge! Check Einstein's General Relativity Theory E=MC^2! Every few years some new astrophysics observation and data prove some of Einstein's theory predictions more than a century old.

Last edited by ACEL; 07-10-2020 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: To complete
The Following User Says Thank You to ACEL For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (07-11-2020)