View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #92 (permalink)
ACEL
Ecomodder

AcuraMatata - '99 Acura EL Base
90 day: 36.82 mpg (US)

Le Vehicle - '12 Dodge Gran Caravan SE
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)
Wheel cover inspiration for 1999 Acura EL

Some ecomodders may inquire about the choice of the wheel cover mock-ups that were trialed. After reading a number of scientific articles, I decided to test the "open center - thick perimeter" wheel studied by Vdovin in 2013 and the "open perimeter" reported by Julian Edgar in his book and some ecomodder that fabricated some for his Tesla.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vdovin 2013 PerimCover.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	28723

Name:	Vdovin 2013 Perim Ouvert.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	28724

Vdovin, Alexei, in 2013 also commented on the results experienced in a wind tunnel with these types of wheels :

Name:	Vdovin 2013 extract_1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	28725

It is not fun to read an engineering thesis but Tesla came to the same results that were well summarized by Vdovin. He was supported in his research and working with engineers and aerodynamicists of Volvo. The people of this company sometimes come up with great ideas and innovations.

Cheers ecomodders!

See many mods in detail with results on my modification thread for my 1999 Acura EL, similar to US Civic EX

Facts, please, give me the facts! Theoretical knowledge is verified by empirical knowledge! Check Einstein's General Relativity Theory E=MC^2! Every few years some new astrophysics observation and data prove some of Einstein's theory predictions more than a century old.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACEL For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-15-2020)