View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

My 93 Chevy Van is a special case, it turns out it has the widest rear end in such a van, even the second widest rear end out or a 70 GM Largest station wagons is about 2to 3 inches short. And the newer 96 van rear ends are shorter.

Plus they have not made gears in the 2:0 to 2:5 ratios sense the 70s for GM rear ends, nor the carriers for those gears. To get the rear end in the 2.24 or even 2.43 the only way was to find a 40 to 50year old wagon rear end. AND to get a possi same thing…and then to find a rebuilding kit for that possi even harder.

The estimated cost IF I can find such a rear end is in the range of $1000.00 to $2000.00 to rebuild it and then to modified the spring mounts.

AS I have held onto two of the old 3speed w/od transmissions, my only costs will be to have a coupler to connect the output shaft of the 4L60 to the input shaft of the OD, a special new drive shaft, and to rig up a VSS sensor system so the truck reads it speed from the back end of the OD unit. I figure the cost to mount the OD is around $400.00 to $700.00.

This will give me a full 5 speed. And IF I can find the use of the gear splitting of a second OD I get 8 forward gears. I only consider that a help when claiming long hills by being able to select the best gear for load, power and RPMS.