Thread: VW ID.4 Cross
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
dwtaylorpdx
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I've had 4 VWs without an major issues.

I also do most of my own maintenance and would never use a dealer for repairs. For something I don't want to do myself (like timing belts) there are independent VW shops that charge 1/3 to 1/2 of what the dealer charges.
My friend that got the bill, said it was 2500 or some silly thing because you cant just buy the broken part ,, and its like another 15 hours labor because the unit is installed in the tub before anything else.. its worse than a Volvo heater..
And of course he had the bad luck to have it break about 1 month out of warranty and VW told him to pack sand.. Sounded like all the interior ahead of the B piller had to come out to do the job.. I didnt see it but I priced a few items that I thought "could" break, the head unit in my spark is about 1400 and there isn't a substitute that still works with all the engine stuff far as I have found..

Not bashing vw's that was just the most recent thing in my head,, ALL the ev's have key parts you open a artery to buy. And many of the different vendor only parts have to be matched to the car because of a bunch of goofy can integration. <shug> I dont get it..