View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Clear Creek fluid mechanics

With 40-acres of park and trails, and after much tractor and chainsaw work I've been picking up deadwood, cutting major branches with a hatchet, pruning, trail work, and mowing.
At the end of the day I reward myself with a swim in the shade of mighty oaks and pecan trees along our bordering Clear Creek to compensate for a day's immersion in the 100-F + heat.
The creek is running clear and I've amused myself 'testing' submerged 'sand dunes', various rocks, cans, and bottles in the flow, ala Leonardo di Vinci's sketchbook.
The sandy bottom provides ' flow visualization' by entraining loose sand and detritus into the wakes of the angled and contoured 'dunes', plus any stones or junk laying in the creek bed. You can 'feel' dead water in the lee, plus observe separation lines and turbulent wakes with the sand and debris. By angling the stones at varying degrees of attack, one can observe when the flow separation ends. Different shapes produce different effects. No snorkel or mask are needed. Also, by orienting my bodies frontal area and drag coefficient, I can either resist being carried away by the force of the water, or be dragged along with it, borrowing from past days surfing.
Minnows appear to be attracted to,and nibble at body hair. I recommend it as fish bait.
Yep! I'm a sick puppy alright. Cheap thrills and full-on geek. Neighbors will never know. Unless they catch me dragging wind tunnel models down there. Hopeless!
Sure does help with the heat though.

Ecky (07-25-2020)