View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
$2k is tough. I second ‘96-up for diagnostics. If you understand how to use it, it makes upkeep and diagnosis remarkably simple considering how complicated these cars actually are. My Civic was $2100 + TTL, and has merely been passably reliable, having had a bad alternator and a cheap (but new) O2 sensor which failed not long after purchase. Most of your Japanese reliability and mileage stalwarts are going to be in the $2-4K range for anything in passable shape. The Echo mentioned above is a fantastic choice, the one I had was fantastically reliable considering the abuse it had taken before it got to me - it was appraised once at $800 cash at a dealer.

I do wonder if an older Mazda Protege or Mitsubishi Mirage might fit the bill. They aren’t the easiest to find, though. Chevy Cavaliers and Pontiac Sunfires are popular cheap cars in my area. When I worked parts, I didn’t sell a whole lot of parts for them, so they might be underratedly reliable. Their reputation, though, is one less of reliability than of durability. I also occasionally see absurdly cheap Camrys and Accords, which typically need something like a head gasket or a clutch or something along those lines, if you want to tackle a project right off the bat (you probably don’t).

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
The Following User Says Thank You to jcp123 For This Useful Post:
gmguy64 (07-28-2020)