View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #289 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
Vman 455
Really am curious and interested in the air intake modification to get more flow and volume could you elaborate and show more images Thanks
I used a Butler duct, BBP-7024, with a 2.5" outlet and neoprene hose from Pegasus Racing:

2" PVC for the section behind the headlight:

With an elbow at the end and more 2.5" hose to attach to the duct (this is version 1, with no 1 1/2" T):

The stock intake hose was 2" or so. Note that no matter what hose size you use you won't get more air volume; the volume of air sucked in by the engine is a function of cylinder displacement, and the volume flow rate through the intake is a function of displacement and engine rpm. But you can change the pressure drop through the intake hose by using larger tubing/fewer bends/larger radius bends/higher inlet pressure (I wasn't really concerned with this, so I didn't bother measuring pressure across the intake, instead measuring IAT just to verify that it's getting fresh air, i.e. that inlet pressure is higher than engine bay pressure since it's open to both. Julian Edgar has several articles on Autospeed about this however, if you're interested). This does affect intake temperature and, related to that, mass flow rate.

Note also that I had the space to route this only because I removed the windshield washer system two years ago; otherwise, that occupies the space behind the passenger headlight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Cd (12-05-2020), Xist (08-02-2020)