View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #42 (permalink)
ACEL
Ecomodder

AcuraMatata - '99 Acura EL Base
90 day: 36.82 mpg (US)

Le Vehicle - '12 Dodge Gran Caravan SE
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)
Front bumper cover upper lip Mock-up directs air to mouth

From my hypothesis and observation of recent cars, the convex front may be adapted to some older cars.

Why what is good for newer cars could not be used on older cars?

So, here is a mock-up built with plastic quarter round and some tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aFrtBmprCvrFceRightMup.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	28866

Name:	aFrtBmprCvrLipFinalPrflRight.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	28867

The air pressure was measured in front of the mouth air intake with a digital air pressure meter that is generally used for building ventilation systems.

Name:	aFrtMouthPressSensing_2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	28868

Name:	aFrtMouthAirIntkPrssSensorPos.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	28869

Simultaneously, the top speed reached at a given throttle stop was monitored and recorded with the Android Torque App through a ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth adapter.

The mocked-up modification allows for a light increase of 0,1 inch of water in air pressure at the air intake mouth. At the same time, the car speed increased about 1% at 104-105 Km/h and 17,65 % throttle opening. There was no measurable fuel economy realized. Still, there seems to be some improvement worth pursuing the experiment.

A second series of test was conducted with a more elegant "lip" acquired from the commerce.

Name:	aFrtBmprCvrLipFinalFace.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	28870

Name:	aFrtBmprCvrLipFinalProfile.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	28871

The results are better. Pressure at the air intake mouth was about the same as with the mock-up. Speed increase at a given throttle opening varied between 2 (104 km/h reached) and 6 Km/h (114 Km/h reached) while fuel consumption reduced by 0,1 L/100 km (during the tests at 5,6 L/100 instead of 5,7 baseline before the mock-up mod).

This modification is beneficial and becomes permanent.

Cheers!

See many mods in detail with results on my modification thread for my 1999 Acura EL, similar to US Civic EX

Facts, please, give me the facts! Theoretical knowledge is verified by empirical knowledge! Check Einstein's General Relativity Theory E=MC^2! Every few years some new astrophysics observation and data prove some of Einstein's theory predictions more than a century old.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACEL For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-04-2020)