View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
CeeforCitroen
EcoModding Lurker

I'd imagine a production car would employ a more elegant solution than one that would require you to drive with the engine manually off for maximum benefits, though it could have an auto stop like in a Prius. I mean you could use it with the engine on but the whole point is to avoid having to putter the engine along at low speeds. If the engine uses almost a litre an hour doing nothing (probably less in my 1.1l citroen C2) then at speeds of 5 mph you can only get 5 miles per litre. Turning it off and on is annoying in traffic which randomly starts and stops and puts more wear on the starting system.

I've had downhill traffic queues which are easy because you can just turn the engine off and roll. I don't recommend this in a higher speed area with lots of hazards because the brakes become stiff after a while and whilst they still work you have to push a lot harder. I'd imagine an elderly woman would have a hard time stopping unless she pulls the handbrake.

Uphill queues are annoying because of multiple hill starts. I typically leave a gap of a few cars and roll up in first gear (I drive a manual) and repeat. There is no real effect holding up traffic with this unless there are multiple lights in which case I wouldn't bother as leaving a gap wastes light cycles. Even in this situation they would require a stronger motor and more battery capacity, maybe even a two speed hub gear, though a high torque motor would handle some incline okay.

Of course, my e-bike kit is coming soon so I will be the most efficient person on the forum!