View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #107 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Newer ones don’t always.

1. Temperature can keep it on
2. SOC set point can keep it on

My Volt loves to race the engine part way to all the way into a stop, (hard engine kill point is 19mph unless SOC is too low)
this behavior (When it happens) wastes 20-30% efficiency, my solution is to exit gas mode a few second before a glide so the engine stops much sooner.

Fords also seem to run Often enough during a glide or stop.

Toyota’s standard Prius seems to have much better controls than the plug in and you can instantly kill the engine by shifting to neutral, this doesn’t seem to work on plug ins which is unfortunate.

I guess I should have added in normal operation and after they come up to normal operating temperature.

Most of my hybrid experience is with the two 2nd generation Prius I owned. With those the engine would run until it came up to operating temperature (at get 25 mpg for the first 5 minutes) and then turn off when my foot came off the throttle. The only thing that kept the engine on was if I had the heat on and the coolant temperature dropped too low or if the A/C drained the battery too much.

I've seen similar behavior in the Ford and Hyundai hybrids I've rented. The 3 series mild hybrid I rented recently also turned off the engine on glide.