View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
Things are going slower than expected (or could possibly be), perhaps due to the influence of major oil magnates. And there is still some efficiency to be gained from fuel engines.
Do you think the oil sheikhs don't diversify their assets? Even they know that oil won't last forever. When it comes to efficiency to be gained from ICEs, there is a lot of room for improvements, even though they've been coming at a very slow pace.

Quote:
I do think that there will be plenty of good affordable EV's for sale in 5 years from now, but next to it I see fuel engines remain on the market for a long time, in (mild) hybrid form.
Not sure to which extent there would be a real motivation for automakers to release affordable EVs even though most of them could do it right now while still relying mostly on off-the-shelf parts. When it comes to ICEs remaining for a long time in hybrid form, be it mild or full-hybrid, there is no escape. Even though manual transmissions don't seem so great for a hybrid without a good integration between the ICE and the motor-generator unit in order to keep it possible to have a launch as smooth as it's achievable with the ICE alone, it does surprise me that mild-hybrid capability is taking quite too long to increase its market share here in Brazil.