View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #44 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why not both? I suspect there's opportunity to finesse the details, as with vortex generators.

In other news, I added a wickerbill to the corner of my Airstream and now the prevailing NW wind that used to blow the door open blows it shut. Aerodynamics works!
Snake oil and unicorn farts.
The first video credits flow reattachment behind a reverse step, which would happen without any enhancement anyway. A tonneau cover does this. A box-cavity does this.
Then they make the leap that wake separation would be significantly constrained, when there exists zero surface onto which the flow would reattach to.
All the following videos deal with 2-dimensional flow, not germane to the real world.
No one addresses the enormous longitudinal vortices and vortex drag which would be created if the flow should succeed in following what their cartoon of the world implies.
And of course, in their world, conservation of energy isn't required, the Second-Law of thermodynamics doesn't exist, and all the real horsepower necessary to alter the wake flow magically disappears, when ' plasma' is doing the work, plus the drag of the inviscid flow immediately outside the modified wake is no longer is required to exist, because one simply whisks it away in the cartoon.
Obviously, only the power of a wrist watch battery should be sufficient to power such a device for a few hundred thousand miles. Why not? It's a cartoon! Why bring up the topic?
skyking (09-27-2020)