View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Building an Aerodynamic trailer for VW Jetta

It's been a long time since I've done anything but lurk here but I'm finally getting tired of dealing with the elements and am getting serious about enclosing my scaffold trailer for work. This would be so much more simple if I still had a hatchback, but I really enjoy the Jetta. I'm looking for help with the basic shape of the enclosure. Everything will be built using sheet metal of some fashion and probably skinned later for appearances. I can build and test with easier to work with materials, since nothing is permanent yet except the base of the trailer.

I would prefer to not have to make major modifications to the rear of the car and rather adapt the front of the trailer to help with the air leaving it by way of something similar to a tongue toolbox eventually, but for now I'm more focused on the shape of the box itself. I assume the ideal thing would be to make something similar to a teardrop trailer using the template, but I'm open to ideas. I do have the option of shrinking the width of the rear sidewall of the trailer as well as the height but not at the base, and could only lean them in a few inches but I'm undecided if the extra effort would be worth the trouble when building the rear wall/doors.

I've attached a pic with the car and trailer with the sidewalls that will be cut to shape. I'm willing to lower the top of the sidewalls a bit, but I sometimes carry multiple scaffolds that stack about as high as the trunk so it couldn't be by a lot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carwithtrailersides.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	28961