View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Leinaad
EcoModding Lurker

Octavia - '20 Skoda Octavia Combi 2.0 TDI DSG
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.94 mpg (US)
New rims/ light weight or aero?

I recently got a new car and am thinking about what to do about the rims for winter/summer tires.
The car came with those rims (Skoda Alcatraz), I found a weight of 10.2 kg for them.

My first intention was to use the Alcatraz rims for the winter tires and get new rims for the summer. Skoda offers the Lepus wheels which were used on the greenline eco model and seem to be optimised aero wise. Weight is about the same at 10.1 kg.

Alternative would be keeping the summer wheels as is and using after market rims (ATS Streetrallye) for the winter tires. They weigh "only" 8.4 kg but still have a reasonable price.

Iīm not sure how the benefits of the lighter rim would be. I had light Rims on my previous car for about 2 month and couldnīt see a difference in fuel despite changing from winter tires to summer tires. But that observation is only based on 2 tanks each since I moved here so not really representative.

My commute is 18 km each with a bit of city driving and mostly country roads with some elevations and an average speed of about 45 km/h (max. 100 km/h).

Using aero covers for the lighter rims isnīt an option unfortunately.

What do you recon are there any benefits in getting the lighter rims over the aero rims?

I kinda like the idea of the aero rims with the LRR Summer tires to get good results while highway driving.
BTW this isnīt about saving money, Iīm just interested in what the car is capable of with little mods. And I need to get another set of rims anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinaad For This Useful Post:
TexasCotton (08-21-2020)