View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Some info from various reviews:
  • The solar roof is only available on the limited trim level which is rated at 47 mpg combined vs 52 mpg for the base trim.
  • It is 205 watts
  • The roof adds 66 lbs.
As to how much power it can supply - Hyundai's statement to Jalopnik:
Quote:
The high-voltage battery capacity of Sonata Hybrid is 1.49 kWh. It can charge 894Wh of energy, or 60 percent of the battery capacity, with a solar roof for one day.

This result is based on a summer test in California and it varies by test condition.
I would be interested to see what it would cost as a stand alone option. There is no way I would buy a $5000 package to get it.

Even at $3 a gallon that is a savings of about $0.12 a day under perfect conditions.

It also means I would have to park on the roof of the parking garage. In the summer my car would be 130 F when I got out of work instead of 80 F. How much of that 0.9 kW solar energy am I going to consume cooling the car back down to 80 degrees with the A/C?

200 watts is more than most people think. I have 200 watts of solar on the roof of our campervan and it will run our refrigerator even during a week of overcast days and rain.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-17-2020)