View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #352 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

My 1970-something or other Musashi commuter bike. Previous owner picked it up in Oahu when he was in the military and rode the lining daylights out of it in more countries than I will ever be able to visit, put it up for $25.00 and I snatched it with both hands. Repairs consisted of:

-New tires and tubes
-Fresh injection of Lithium grease into sealed bearings via needle and syringe
-Thin overspray of Rust inhibitor over the patina-the rust spots perfectly match the original paint now.
-Added lights I had lying around, though I don't use at night.

The Musashi is as bare-bones as it gets-single speed, Rim brake on the front wheel and band brake on the rear, lugged and brazed old-school frame. This light (27 lbs) slim creature makes the average Beach Cruiser feel like a Limo with a clogged intake! My out-of-shape, 235lbs 52-year-old self can do any easy 14 MPH on level roads, corner like a goat and stop on a dime.

Rode only a few miles a week at first, but with this Mandatory Stay at Home order from my employer in place, i'm making it my Errands and Fun ride, with my Chevy S-10 now being my Heavy Cargo, Long Distance ride I only need maybe twice a week.

I wouldn't trade this humble creature for any carbon-fiber high-performance bike made-although if someone offers a Velomobile in trade I might reconsider....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Musashi1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	29026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Musashi2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	29027