View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
ssullivan
EcoModding Lurker

Jetta - '01 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input. I tried it the last two days. Seems pretty natural except say 1500rpm 50% throttle or more sounds like it is lugging. Depending on the gear 1500rpm happens shifting around 1900rpm. Seems I can start from idle (903rpm they say) after a long coast in 3rd maybe 4th gear (maybe down a hill) and accelerate very slowly. Sounds similar to what GreenTDI describes. Look at the chart again though, BSFC goes high at low boost/power and pretty much the whole rpm range. Worried it is "lugging" without making the sound. Just to be clear, lugging leads to bearing damage as the force is extremely high at extreme rod angles (to make power at low rpm). Still, in terms of efficiency, we are splitting hairs as the actual hp number is tiny and the chart gives consumption per hp (brake). After multiplying the two, fuel consumption is still small.

Anyone had plugging in the VNTs? That was the logic behind shifting at higher rpms if I remember correctly. Obviously, I am a little concerned about my engine bearings too. Anyone checked their intake manifold (they commonly are fairly blocked with carbon, I read).

It seems I'll be trying to shift to land around 1500rpm and if I need more power for some reason, downshift really quick. These cars don't seem to mind shifting fast.