View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cash68
Industrial Designer

Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 52.94 mpg (US)
Covid Project: Restoring a vintage 911 myself. In way over my head.

So when Covid hit and I knew I'd be stuck at home for a while, I finally felt up to tackling the biggest project of my life so far.... fixing my old 911. I bought this car for cheap years ago before the price boom, but then the prices went up so quickly and so much I can't afford pros to service it.

Pretty much everything was wrong with this car; it ran/drove, but the paint was shot, interior was shot, engine was... very very very leaky, transmission had grinds, suspension was worn out, brakes were seized, etc. Over the past few years I fixed the interior, suspension, brakes, but I've been putting off even basic maintenance on the powertrain because it was SO BAD.

Anyway... decided since I have a lot of freetime to do a video series on it. How is this related to eco modder?

2 ways. 1. I drive a hybrid so I can afford parts for this car. 2. Restoring old cars is super green compared to buying a new car.

Anyway... if you want to learn about these things, feel free to check it out.

Here's the intro/overview of everything wrong with my car, and my overall plans (I knew basically nothing about these engines/transmissions at this point, lol)

Episode 2 is dropping the engine/transmission myself, using a motorcycle jack:

Once it was out, the next steps were diagnosing how bad things are, and how much it's going to cost. The biggest thing was my engine case is magnesium, (super soft) and pulled head studs are suppppppeerrrr common on these engines. This was the video where I checked all the head studs, and found some not even attached!

With the headstuds all holding properly, the next thing to do was to diagnose the health of the rings/valves by doing a leakdown test. I used a harbor freight leakdown tester on this so it's a bit.... well... watch the video to find out.

Anyway, I will update this thread with my progress as long as there's interest. Definitely learning a TON on this project!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cash68 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-27-2020), nemo (08-28-2020), redpoint5 (08-27-2020)