View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
2016 Versa
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
That "old oil" you have is likely SJ rated and is packed with additives compared to modern SN rated oil and is perfect for engines that don't have roller everything internals.
I think you're right about the SJ rating. The oil I'm using in the Versa is what I got 2/$1 at a Dollar General grand opening. It's Citgo Supergard 10w40. I know very little about oil other than what the weight means and that it's supposed to lubricate moving parts. The Citgo was touted as a very good oil on bobistheoilguy.com back in the day. Last oil change in the Versa I kept a pretty close eye on how the oil looked in it. I ended up letting it go 7500 miles and the oil was just a dark honey color on the dipstick when I changed it. I was also doing a blot test about every 500-1000 miles and it looked really good at 7500. Truth be know I think this oil would easily make 10K mile intervals and still have good lubricating properties but I'm not planning to extend it beyond 7500 which is 2500 miles over Nissan recommendation. With what I paid for the oil I could do several oil changes for the cost of an oil analysis so that too is out of the question, I'll just change it. I don't drive hard at all anymore and most of my trips are 15 miles or more so I shouldn't have any problems with moisture. I saw an oil analysis report on a Versa on BITOG a few months ago. I don't remember the brand but it was just conventional oil and I think they'd been something like 6000-6500 miles and Blackstone had recommended them extend their OCI so, apparently the 1.6L Nissan engine isn't too hard on oil.