View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
Thanks for that, and I did learn about Indexing Spark Plugs there, but Al Franklin seemed to be more about throwing money at his vehicle than using low fruit mods. It's good to know, and there are some interesting mods there. I think I'll pay attention to Funkhoss' 94 Caprice Wagon, and Diesel_Dave's efforts, though

I'll just start with low hanging fruit mods, first. I plan to mod it to get at least 25 MPG tank to tank, and I've gotten to 20 recently (a 2.5 to 3 MPG improvement,) mostly thanks to EOCing. I only recently found that I had to set my SG2 engine setting to "Hybrid" to keep it on during EOCs.

I have yet to take the Roof Rack off, and I won't be doing it until the end of this current tank, which I'm somewhere in the middle of.

I had a baseline for this vehicle: about 17 to 17.5 MPG in Summer months, without Hypermiling, in Rural Pennsylvania. Not the best figure, though it did beat stock by a bit due to the tires being set at 45 PSI (Hot.)

Having tried that, I experimented with adding Amsoil Upper Cylinder Lubricant to the Gas at fill-up. On a trip, it did improve the mileage, but not enough to pay for itself; it only raised it by maybe 3/4 of one MPG. I compared the SG2 figure (which was calibrated) to the On-Board figure (which is aaccurate.) That bottle of Amsoil UCL cost me $5. Even if I bought it with the Amsoil discount, it would come out to $3.65. Unless Gas goes up to $5 per gallon here, it's not worth it.

Having considered that, I started putting Opti-Lube XL ("Xtreme Lubricant" Diesel Additive) in the tank, since 1: I had it, 2: it's much cheaper by the ounce, if you buy it by the gallon, and 3: It seems to beat Amsoil in Lubricity, too (if I'm reading the data sheets right.)

Amsoil UCL:

Pump Gas - 807 µm Wear Scar.
With Amsoil UCL - 640 Wear Scar, a 167 µm Improvement.
Cost: $3.65 or $5.xx for a 6 Ounce Bottle (1 Treatment)
https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/da...tins/g3657.pdf

Opti-Lube XL:
Pump Diesel - 440 µm Wear Scar.
With XL at High Treat Rate (Edit: that's 2.5 oz / 10 gallons,) 220 Wear Scar, a 220 µm Improvement.
Cost: $40.16 per Gallon (not counting shipping,) or $1.8825 per Treatment of 6 Oz per Tank (slightly higher than the 2.5 / 10 gal treat rate.) $1.568 per tank at 5 oz / tank (slightly under the treat rate.)
https://opti-lube.com/downloads/intertektesting.pdf

Based on these two data sheets, Opti-Lube XL should give me a wear scar equivalent of 587 µm, and it should cost much less. EDIT: I was using 4 Oz, not 5.625 oz per gallon. The wear scar would be higher, but

"XL" is Opti-Lube's best additive for increasing Diesel's Lubricity. I started at 2 oz in a tank, then I raised it to 4. I know that this works to raise lubricity in Diesel, and it may work better in Gasoline than Amsoil UCL. My concern is, it isn't designed specifically for Gasoline, so I'm concerned for the long term effects on the car. I'm not sure if it's working to raise mileage, but I'm going to put another 4 Oz in at the next fill up. My mileage has improved recently, but I'm not 100% sure why; I've also been improving with my EOCs.

The current tank is looking like it's shaping up to be somewhere around 21.5 MPG, although I'm not done with the tank yet. I didn't start the tank out with the SG2 set to "Hybrid," so I don't have the most accurate figure.

EDIT: That tank ended up being 20.21 MPG.

Last edited by 101Volts; 09-11-2021 at 11:50 PM..